How is student effort measured and progress graded?


Students in some courses may be required to spend up to 20 hours outside of class per week working on homework/projects. 


Academic credit is measured in clock hours. One hour of instructional time is defined as a sixty-minute period. 

Standard of progress

Divergence Academy measures student progress through frequent assignments and in-depth projects. Students are graded on a pass/fail basis. To receive a passing grade, students must maintain satisfactory progress as follows:

1. Receive a passing grade on 80% of all assignments. Assignment is graded based on completion.To receive a passing grade on an assignment, students must complete 100% of the minimum tasks specified in that assignment.

2. Maintain consistent attendance as outlined in the Attendance section below. A passing grade in attendance will be given to students with no more than two or six absences, depending on the program.

3. Receive a passing grade on all course projects. Projects are graded on an A-F scale. A grade of a D and above is passing.

Students are evaluated* for progress towards completion at the following point:

Course Length Evaluation Point

40 hours / 5 days

20 hours / 3 days
60 hours / 12 days 30 hours / 6 days
400 hours / 16 weeks

200 hours / 8 weeks

420 hours / 12 weeks  140 hours / 4 weeks 

*Divergence Academy does not have a cumulative final test or examination required for the completion of any of the courses. Students are informally evaluated by instructors every two weeks.

Grading System


P (Pass) Has satisfactorily met all minimum course requirements.A grade of Pass is equivalent to a grade of A-D.
F (Fail) Has not satisfactorily met all minimum course requirements.A grade of Fail is equivalent to an F.
I (Incomplete) An incomplete is provided if a faculty member gives an extension to a student to complete a course project. An extension can be granted for a maximum of 30 days from the last day of class. If a student is notable to complete his/her project within this amount of time,he/she will be given an F. A student who is obligated for the full tuition may request a grade of “incomplete” if the student withdraws for an appropriate reason unrelated to the student’s academic status. The student may re-enroll in the program during the 12-month period following the date the student withdraws and complete those incomplete subjects without payment of additional tuition. Students may finish their course with re-enrollment from admissions.